Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Don't ruin a good story with the truth... unless you're a member of the Wino's family!

Greetings!  Here's a picture of me in happier times - on the helicopter on my way to the most recent FOB in need of planning.  Doesn't the Wino look relaxed and natural? This was one interesting trip in so many ways.  The work there will be incredible and I will need to go back and stay for a few weeks because they are tripling the size of this place for the "surge."

However, upon landing we were informed that the FOB was under constant attack, so that meant "full battle rattle" which for us means having to wear the helmet and vest all day - an extra 30 - 40 lbs.  No biggie as I felt safer with it on.  However, while getting into one of the trucks I felt the snap on my pants open and casually stepped back off onto the boulder size gravel to check my lady parts and their security... only to snap my ankle as it rolled sideways.  Let me tell you - the pain was so bad I was about to pull a Linda Blair, complete with the head spin - but the Wino wasn't about to appear to be a baby!  I calmly got the projectile vomiting potential in check and announced that there was a small issue and I could no longer walk.  Long story short, I only lost 45 minutes and was back on task with a temporary cast, an ankle the size of a grapefruit and so high from the pain meds that I literally felt like I floated around the base.  Walking on the crutches with the extra 40lbs on the rough terrain while medicated basically caused me to look something like a large, frankensteinish toddler - but we finished the work in a small truck so I could film the rest of the site.

It then became more surreal as we had to travel outside of the wire into the expansion area - there we were surrounded by a group of locals and nobody could understand the other - pretty interesting situation since all of the fire had been coming from the surrounding village.  I had been taping video of the expansion so I just started taping them and low and behold - they liked being on camera and everyone calmed down!  I have the video and hope I am never in that type of situation again - it should be fun to review, but I was extremely nervous and also on a ton of pain medication - needless to say, it was an extremely interesting day.  I don't ever want to be that close to locals outside of the base again.  I still don't know what the issue was but the Afghan security forces we are training (they live on the base too) showed up and calmed them down.  They were being pissy about something!  I'll try to post the video on  Facebook.

The day was topped off at night when I had to wear all of the gear to the port-a-john, walking on crutches with a flashlight and then once inside, trying to utilize the facilities balanced on one good leg, hit my mark and still try not to touch anything or fall into the urinal all in complete darkness - ta da!  Oh yes, then you had to get your pants up and head back - thankfully it was night and I was spared some embarrassment by the cover of darkness.  I had a fit of the giggles during most of this because I simply couldn't imagine that this was actually happening - the truth was seriously stranger than any fiction.  I was completely over all of it by the time we left this morning.

Here's a picture of where one of the rockets hit a storage container - Boom!  No more fresh produce - we weren't allowed to eat in the DFAC because of the attacks so we had to eat all meals elsewhere - apparently they were targeting the eating facilities and had something against fruit and vegetables ... attacking the produce will certainly gain you an advantage in this conflict! " I don't need no stinkin' fresh peaches!"

I am finally back in KAF, in my comfy room and ready to take it easy for a day or so before I get back to the business of planning.  I am absolutely dead tired and feel a bit like crap but tomorrow is a new day and I'm certain all will be well!

Drink of the night - pain meds mixed with hot tea and thoughts of kittens...

No comments: