Powered By Blogger

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Heat Miser

It's War!  My sinuses, and those of my co-workers, have declared war on the country of Afghanistan!  In an area that's largely beige, it's amazing that there would be anything to actually inflame one's sinus cavities - but it's brutal!  There's also the malaria issue - where do the mosquitos come from because there's no water visible to anyone.  These are issues that will most assuredly remain a mystery.  It was 114 degrees today and it's only May.  If you are wondering what 114 degrees is like, well it's soul-sucking heat - but thankfully dry heat.  It's almost hot enough to suck the air out of your lungs, but it will get hotter!  I cannot wait to see what 120 is like ...  Everyone was sick today and I think it was all heat related.  It's been around a 100 for a few weeks, but today was different and you could see it in how everyone looked and moved.  Thankfully, my trip today was postponed so I was spared walking around for hours in the sun.  Tomorrow though, is another day and another trip, so I doubt I will be so fortunate twice.

The other interesting issue is that we are hitting around the 4 month mark of our contract - I'm only at 3, but many others are at 4.  This is the magic number mark - the point of no return - the I-can't-take-it-anymore stage of this year long adventure.  There's obviously a good reason that so many contracts have generous leave benefits (not ours) and every 4 months, there comes a 2 week R&R.  It's because you hit your absolute limit of deprivation at 4 months.  I know I can feel it starting - whatever you do to make this work begins to wear thin and not work so well anymore.  You start thinking too often about your family, friends, significant others - your home, bed, cooking, wine, pets, what it's like to roam freely,  walking to the bathroom in your bare feet, how free time feels, an entire night's sleep, no sound of gunfire or rocket sirens ... the list goes on and on.  I even miss driving - on paved roads that is.  I was sitting yesterday waiting for my flight and I was in an area where I could actually see traffic drive by - I felt like a cat who finally accessed a window - it was a whole other world than what I see day in and day out - which is basically tents, dirt, and vast stretches of sniper-cover along the fences - which means that I see nothing but a green tarp that covers the fencing.  We are enclosed in it and located at a remote corner of the base - there are tons of things around you, but you don't see it unless you leave the compound.  I've become a bunker monkey because of it - I climb things constantly just to see something bigger than where I am.

Today was much calmer around here than the last couple.  I think the edge caused by all of the attacks has softened and people were more focused on being consumed by the heat than being attacked.  I am hoping the A/C holds up and am thankful it's finally night time and therefore cooling down just a little.  I saw that it was a perfect 75 at home today ... as I like to tell my Mother ... it all seems overwhelming at times and then I look at my checkbook...  I can be hot and go without!  When you are on the FOBs and directly with the troops who are actually out in the middle of the bullshit, you quickly get over yourself and all of your perceived hardships.  On my worst day here I live better than 98% of this country's population - and most of the infantry!  And - there's ice cream.

Drink of the night - a cold fake beer, in honor of the real one I'm going to be enjoying in about 6 weeks!

1 comment:

Kennedy said...

How about not climbing up on stuff for a while to get a better view? Those green tarps sound like they are there for a reason.