Powered By Blogger

Saturday, May 15, 2010

You've got a Scary Box!

Saturday Night AND boxes from home!  You just can't beat receiving boxes from home - it's goofy, but the anticipation of your name popping up on the mail list is too great to describe.  Today I received two and both were full of extraordinary goodies.  Listen, I can get the most basic of the basics here and all the junk food I could want - but I don't eat the crap food and I'm a brand loyalist so most of the delights have to come from home.  I'm also getting more creative with my requests and those of  you who have sent items over have put great thought into them - they've been perfect.  Today however,  would mark the first time that I was literally scared to touch something that came in my box - those who know me well (or have read this blog) know I am not a fan of bugs, rodents or snakes - especially the varieties that live over here.  So that means I've received plenty of items to repel, kill or trap such things.  But today, thanks to my parental units, I was so scared to touch the spider trap boxes that I had to remove them with a stick!  I don't know who is in charge of the package design for the spider traps, but the graphic for the spiders on the box gave me such a severe case of the creeps that I couldn't touch the damn things.  They are actually sitting on my shelf, face down, until I can muster the courage to open, assemble and strategically place them.  I am terrified of what might possibly crawl in there!   What the hell is that all about?!

I think I spend way too much time walking with my head down on the lookout for snakes and spiders as well as paying attention to the terrain so that I don't snap an ankle again - I'm getting so bad at looking at the ground and not where I'm going that I ran right into a large construction lighting system this morning - it knocked me right on my a%$ and in front of several onlookers - all I could say was that "my butt's from a small town and has never seen such a big, bad light... it's feeling kind of shy" - thankfully this happened in front of people with nicknames like Mag-neato, Chicken Cutlets and something i really shouldn't type here, so all was good.  I walked off the pain and embarrassment like a cat - looking like I meant to do it.  My sister got all the grace in this family - it certainly missed me.

I finally made it to the Bazaar today and I can't wait to get back.  I was only there a half an hour so I don't know if any of the vendors are carrying the Kama Sutra tea set, but there were a ton of other treasures awaitin'!  I will definitely go back.  The weird thing was that many of the vendors had perfect English ...  I suspect there are quite a few Afghan nationals raised primarily in the U.S. who are back here selling junk to military personnel.  I did find a pirated copy of the HBO special "Pacific" which I had really been wanting to see - I loved "Band of Brothers" - never in a million years would I have thought I'd be here watching this new series when I first saw it advertised.  That's what I simply love about life - if you're willing to take chances, you just really have no idea what's in store for you.  How did we ever fight a war without internet or TV?  Talk about putting things into perspective.

Still feeling a bit under the weather, so I hope to take it easy tomorrow.  I'm going to take care of some domestic duties, pay a bill or two and think about my pending vacation.  I will drive myself insane thinking about it and can't imagine even being there at this point.  I can't explain how good a pool, fresh food, drinks and restaurants sound right about now.  Hope the rest of you are enjoying your weekend.

Drink of the Night - My new favorite - a Sobe flavored water - Pomegranate!

3 comments:

Laurel said...

Funny you mention looking at the ground as you walk. 16 years after camping out in the wilds of WY on an archaeological dig for a month, I STILL catch myself watching for rattlesnakes! Heard about the vacay, sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

you paint hilarious word pictures!
hope you have/had a great day off full of little surprises...

nottotaled said...

I've been walking around with my head down for years. I haven't been looking for snakes, however.