Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Brugge - Happy Halloween!

I don't even know what to say - Brugge is beautiful.  I arrived yesterday after an amazing stay in London and my gracious and generous hostess even walked me through the train issues.  Train connection was changed in Brussels and the only people who didn't move were all English speaking - conspiracy maybe? So I stood on the platform with some very nice people for an extra hour which was no big deal.  Arrived late afternoon and literally hit the bricks to stroll around this stunning city.  My hotel is very unique and I have an excellent view - very close to the Belfry and main square so once I find that I can navigate back to home base.

So after I arrived, I walked down to the main square and positioned myself at a nice little table to enjoy some Belgian beers.  Ended up sitting next to some awesome people from Canada - two sisters and their husbands - who kindly invited me to enjoy some drinks with them and then we walked down the way and had a fabulous dinner.  Extremely nice and fun people and a great way to spend my first night.  Only issue was that I'd had enough beer to cause me to read my map upside down and therefore it took me an hour to return to my hotel - which was only a short walk down the road.  Live and learn.  I even had to stop under a light along the beautiful canal to whip out my bifocals because I couldn't see my own map - I really don't feel that old, but apparently am.  Finally returned, opened my window and soon discovered that the buildings across the street were youth hostels and full of incredibly drunk adventurers - at about 4am I finally suggested (from my open window) that they consider having intimate relations with their own pie holes which was ineffective since nobody seemed to speak English.  No worries and I envied their Halloween weekend adventure which sounded like fun.  This morning I awoke and enjoyed a ciggie out the window only to get a little taste of pre-Amsterdam when I looked down and over and witnessed a very private "blanket wrestle" from my window - ah, to be in my 20s again!




the best cappuccino I've ever had!





private backyard garden along the canal

mind boggling building facade


Belfry at night

this was behind my hotel and I didn't know it until tonight



So today I walked until I wore myself out.  Began the day with the best cup of cappuccino I've ever had and a Belgian waffle with chocolate, strawberries, whipped cream, powdered sugar and a small dollop of ice cream.  Damn - this place isn't nearly large enough to walk something like that off, but it was delicious!  Totally lost myself in Brugge and discovered some amazing spots by just walking and not navigating with a map. A bit rainy this morning but cleared up late afternoon.  This place is seriously phenomenal. Finally made my way back, took a beer nap and then back out for the evening where I had a pot of mussels that were so delicious that they were sinful.   Really great visit and the perfect amount of time - two nights is about all you need here if you don't museum or do guided tours.  One side note, the only English speaking channel today played a Hanna Montana marathon - what the hell?? That show is horrible and so is that girl - long story short, the foreign programming was making sense to me after a bit - thankfully!

Tomorrow I'm off to Amsterdam - don't have train tickets yet, but will do that as I go.  Cannot wait to experience that city as I've been told by many people I will love it ... whatever that means... but I AM just a couple blocks from the Red Light District which I cannot wait to see and hang out and about in - and my hotel is across the street from the Ann Frank house so I will get a good mix of history and naughty all in the same place - sign me up!

Drink of the day - Belgian Zot beer - "burp"

No comments: