Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 1, 2010

Presented to you by Sleep! It does a body good

My goodness - I am awake in the middle of the night but what sleep I did get what fabulous!  Finally was able to shower yesterday after a good 48 hours plus marinating in me, with a side a me.  Folks, I don't mind telling you that I was dirtier than a Mexican whorehouse - had I the opportunity to use a bathtub, there would have been rings.  Plus, you get dirty just standing here.  I have posted a few pics of the surroundings around the immediate area where I live - it's towards the north end of the runway and I work near the south end ( the pics are on facebook as I'm having some trouble posting them here).  There was already a little crash incident there yesterday on the runway and you know how much I love explosions, noise and chaos!!! Seriously, I do.

This is an amazingly loud and busy area but getting here was the real treat (Delta will certainly not be receiving a Christmas card from me this year)!  From London I arrived in Bishkek in the middle of the night - creepy and foggy - reminded me of a setting for another sequel of the Hostel series and I could just feel the potential for my organs to be harvested.  We couldn't leave the airport because of the surrounding area, but they neglected to pick us up for two hours and during that time we were hounded by aggressive taxi drivers and the strange.  I would not part from the pack to even use the facilities because the potential was high to wind up as an indentured lounge singer in Asia. A real treat - but the Manas air base was nice and they had beer there which I thoroughly enjoyed.

I finally arrived at Bagram early Monday morning and was at work a few hours later for my first 12 + hour day - I really don't think that will be too bad and I work with some very interesting people and also some not so much.  Overall it's been a winner so far.  I'm walking the 1.5 miles to work today and getting ready to face the showers which will take some getting used to ...  I have internet, dry shoes and a song in my heart and most importantly... my own room which I have already decorated and strategically placed a small throw rug - this will make all the difference in the world.  Especially after working every day, all day with the menfolk.  I must sign off for now - but I do miss home, family and friends a ton!

Drink of the night - water with a hint of Crystal Light - shaken, not stirred.

No comments: