Powered By Blogger

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Desert Storm - Literally

Hello once again from my tent of doom!  Apparently, we get quite a few storms out here - this is totally in conflict with my image of the desert gleaned from many a Bug's Bunny cartoon with Wile E. and Roadrunner - I thought it was relatively calm with only a few dangerous ACME anvils teetering around, but I was misinformed.  It's very windy and nasty apparently.  We are having yet another huge sand storm today - which are kind of cool to watch come in, but not so much fun once they arrive ... much like some of my old dates (ah, my 20s...).  Anychokingsand, they blot out your visibility to just a few feet and also - if you're really lucky - cake every nook and cranny of your person with gritty sand and dirt.  Good thing everything here is beige, right?!
This picture here is a Dirt Devil they filmed on Mars - where I might as well be since I'm already in Afghanistan - we get these dust devils here all the time, but I have yet to get a good picture.  It looks about the same - oddly..  By the way .... Mars appears to be much nicer than this place ....   I don't think they burn their trash there - including the plastics - or litter.  Sign me up!  I could do without my throat burning and face itching from all of the mysteries in the air.

Today, the battle with Menno Paws continues!  I thought he was gone, but two days in a row I have come back to my room to find one. single. poop. on my bed blanket!!!  I found mouse traps and made a lethal cocktail of  PB&J, with sunflower seeds,  but my nemesis has eaten the seeds out of that concoction and still lives!  I mean really - to just make one poop on my bed? That is sending a message and not one I like - it's the proverbial horses head in my bed. I am rather upset that he's on my bed and have to just choke back the hysterics - not really, but the thought of a rodent - and one who lives on this filthy base - on my bed, causes me to rock back and forth, whimpering, as I turn off the light at night.  It's for sure added an entirely new ritual to my evening as I check everything in and around my bed with a flashlight before I get in it - I've even taken to talking in a loud voice before I get in ... "I'm going to bed now Menno.  Right now" ... hoping that if he's in there, he will hear me and get the hell out.  I just anticipate that tonight I will hear that telling little "snap" and then I can stake his carcass as a warning to all other mice who may consider entry.  How very dramatic and Shakespearian of me!

I wish I could share more of what I am doing here, but I cannot because it's super-secret - double-finger-cross kind of stuff.  Seriously, it would put my security clearance status at risk.  All I can say is that the work is becoming MUCH more interesting and intense - it's also directly related to the surge (that I can say) and may involve some planning within an actual city (which is an assignment I now officially have) in addition to the FOBs.  I purposefully do not consider the risk at any point while I am here - I just do what I need to and don't think about it.  What's happening here is not making the news - we are in heated battles all over this Kandahar area - these FOBs we travel out to are constantly under attack, convoys hijacked, soldiers and contractors killed.  Several contractors who work directly in the villages and with the people are now being targeted by the Taliban and Al Queida - they are being killed along with the people they are trying to help.  Pay attention to Pakistan and what little you hear about regarding our involvement there - I just don't see a war like this ever ending - not when an enemy has no distinct boundary or nationality - it's an ideology we are warring with and I think they will just wait us out and then get back to the business of in-fighting and sectarian conflict so prevalent over here.

I'm becoming superstitious that at this point that if I dared to worry or be afraid that I will somehow hex myself.  I just trot on to the next thing and place, paying attention to what I can control, and not worrying about the vast majority that I cannot.  It's actually quite liberating and an outlook I hope I can keep once I'm back on the civilian side of things.  Even in weird situations I have these creepy kind of calm going over here - something I would describe as serial-killeresque in the states, but quite advantageous here.  Detached maybe?

Unfortunately, the biggest danger here on base - other than the rocket attacks - are the other soldiers and contractors.  As one of two female contractors on the compound, I often feel like a prisoner here at night.  If you don't have a car or ride, it really isn't that smart to walk anywhere at night.  I carry a knife and an aggressive attitude if I have to be walking somewhere alone.  However, most of the people here are armed, so ....  The downfall is that you don't get out unless you are with other people - which isn't that bad because I like who I work with - but does suck if you want out and some alone time.  We are a pretty good walk from the NATO gym and boardwalk area - I hit the gym with a group and try to do the rest during the day.  I guess it's that you are so incredibly aware of this type of danger - it's rather unsettling and animalistic in many senses - totally different vibe over here than at home.

What a big BLOG day!  Now you know all about the weather, my mouse, views on the war and what to fear on base but have no idea what I actually do every day.  I'm heading out tomorrow for a day or so to one of those outposts - cue the sound of a spinning gun cartridge - hopefully this time I won't injure myself while trying to pull up my pants!  I've got my special, ankle-don't-work-right shoe and some extra pens, so I'm ready to roll!

Drink of the night - a fake Beck's AND a hot tea.  Simultaneously!

No comments: