Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 22, 2010

This would make an interesting tourism guide

Began the day at 3:30am to a rooster crowing which was odd since I don't recall being near a farm.  Then a huge thunderstorm hit  which was totally weird to hear since I would never expect one in February if I were at home - by the way, I was sleeping with the window open which does open if you push hard enough.  I had an extremely long day of intake and power point presentations.  It began with a travel handout about the astronomically huge pain in the behind it appears getting to Afghanistan will be and it could very well take me around 48 hours to get there.  My favorite part - the handout actually said ... "Afghanistan is a filthy disease-ridden place..." and then went on to list all of the ick (including Malaria and Hepatitis) that's floating around there.  I get my Malaria medication this week which I have to take daily - I have heard that it can make you violently ill or cause nightmares so of course I absolutely cannot wait to begin taking it - I didn't think about mosquitos (who always seem to find me) in the desert, but apparently the rainy season or any moisture whatsoever brings the little suckers out. This has to be included in their travel brochures!  But you know me - I can throw a decorative pillow anywhere and call it a palace.  As I've said before, if I am able to utilize tape I will be able to make anything "homey." We did get quite the lecture about not making pets out of the dogs (they kill them) or cats (they are there to kill other things) that run around the place but I'm sure I can at least come up with some names in order to great them.  They apparently need to remain murderous little creatures and that's really fine by me.  Tomorrow is more of the same and then the equipment handouts and training at the base begin.  I am spending the evening in the comfy room and enjoying a snack and a beverage.

Drink of the evening - Corona Light in a bottle, no lime.  Pinkie's up!

1 comment:

Kennedy said...

Damn, if Afghanistan could just get some good marketing they would be all set. Substitute "filthy disease ridden" with "pretty" and they may have a beginning.