Powered By Blogger

Friday, March 12, 2010

The Domestication of my Afghani "Condo"

Let me say, I've had the best day yet since I've been here - it, by no coincidence, coincided with my day off.  I was able to sleep in a bit, work out at the gym, do some shopping and then walk to work for a few hours of obligatory duties.  I finally purchased a mini-frig and little flat screen TV/DVD player for my hovel - getting it all here was a trip, but I relied on the kindness of strangers and some young guys basically hooked an old lady up and helped me lug it back to a truck.  I moved some things around and managed to get everything set with all of my fingers intact.  When you take on a project in a small and crowded 7 x 10 foot space, without the proper tools, things can get a bit hairy - fingers can get smashed, backs strained, toes crushed.  Now I can successfully hoard fruit and cereal and have cold beverages in my room.  If I had a few black light posters, strawberry incense from Spencers Gifts and an ELO album going I'd totally be reliving 7th grade in my basement room.  There's something about that image that brings me back to wonderful times - in particular the era prior to me reading too many scary books and sleeping the better part of a year on my sister's bedroom floor because I'd terrified the bejesus out of myself.

So, I basically spent my day as a hobbled Martha Stewart - home projects without the proper tools but everything works - it just needs to be tightened, etc.  I don't have a screwdriver but I DO have a wine key - where's the logic in that?  I may actually need a screwdriver, but I made sure to bring a contraption associated with an activity strictly verboten here.  They wine key is sitting next to the butane lighter that I also thought was a good idea to bring - side by side they are, like the memories of old loves ... they make you smile, but that's about all you are allowed to do with them.

I'm going to make myself some tea - I now have a pot that heats water (I wonder how many things I can actually plug into what originated as one outlet) - then will try to shake some of the dust off of me (it's a Pig Pen effect when you come in from outside) and settle in for an evening of movies.  Yes Folks - movies again by myself!  It doesn't get much better than that - I'm hoping I don't end up making human skin sombreros or something weird like that after I go absolutely insane from isolation.  It is weird, you are around a ton of people but still very isolated most of the time just the same - and, if not at work, you have absolutely no desire to be around or engaged with anyone.  Once you leave the office your social chip is turned off.  Anyway, I hope you all enjoy your Friday and the weekend to come.

Drink of the night: Chai Tea, made in my room, minus the burned fingers and F-bombs from caring hot water back from the mess hall - this is now civilized!  Carry on!

No comments: