Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 29, 2010

Moving Day!


Good Day!  It was moving day here in Bagram - I moved myself and my Bhut mate to a new Bhut and the woman who was living in my new room, to my old Bhut.  Got it?  That's how it works in the military - we could have all stayed put and just moved once - me to Kandahar in a few days, my Bhut mate   back home and the new woman to our old unit after we left - but for some reason, it made more sense for us to do an extra move ... I am accumulating some property considering I just received some boxes from home and one of the three I mailed to myself before I even left - it finally showed up - that was after being shipped here, returned to the U.S. by some of the in-bred postal staff on base, and then mailed back here.  I'm like a turtle carrying my house on my back.  I got some help from one of my co-workers on the final end and he was kind enough to take this amazingly cheerful picture of me as we finished up! I did all of this moving without beer - kudos me!

I am one worn out old lady.  I dread having to pack again and lug all of this to the airport terminal in a few days.  I don't know how I will get this all down there, but once I do - Shangri La folks!  And, I didn't realize what an absolute shit hole (sorry mom) I had been living in until I got to this much nicer and exceptionally larger new space.  It's also much closer to where I work, but also in the area popular with rockets - so keep your fingers crossed that I get out of here with no incidents!

Things are really getting constrained here with the troop surge.  It's crawling with people, equipment and traffic.  I am working the planning end and I can tell you, there isn't enough space or housing for all of the people they are sending here.  I don't think it's as bad where I'm going because it's not so geographically contained.  It's truly unbelievable.

I just found out too, that not only was Obama here yesterday, but so was James Gandlfini - Tony Soprano and Paulie Walnuts!  How in the hell did I miss all of that?  Here I was, hanging in my crap hole and applying scented lotions to feel better all while the Prez and the Soprano's were here.  I need to figure out where they post this information - fugedaboutit...

This is going to be a short one today as I am exhausted - but look how roomy my new space is! I can sit on my bed and my knees don't touch the furniture - I can dress without smacking my elbows on the handy nail hangers in the walls.  The best part is that my beloved Temper-pedic pillows arrived!  And my new mattress still had a plastic cover and does not feel like I'm sleeping on a hill - it's fabulous and I'm wondering why I was stuck in the Bagram version of an Alcatraz solitary cell for so long.  I don't remember misbehaving or doing anything wrong, but I feel now like I was somehow being punished and nobody told me.

So, I'm going to make myself a nice, non-alcoholic beverage, let my neck and head nest in my space age pillows and watch some more "My Name is Earl" - I don't know how I missed this show, but it's right up my alley - thank you Collin's sisters for recommending it!

Drink of the Night - a combo juice mix of pineapple, orange and grapefruit - we'll see how this little experiment works without the dark rum.

Oh yea - Mary K. ( I don't think it's officially Mary S. just yet) was kind enough to inform me that all of the Easters are on the same day this year, but usually some of the different denominations have different days - let's give Mary a hand for knowing her religious history and just for the hell of it - for being Greek!  Well done Mary!  And Brad, you get a shout-out too - just because I think you secretly really love Easter and the color pink...

2 comments:

Kennedy said...

Is that duck tape for your arse for when that giant bottle of MiraLAX kicks in?

Unknown said...

I should have looked more closely at what was on display - I should have laid a cross on the Miralax in hopes for a miracle that it works! You have good eyes!